Wagon Days

Wagon Days come but once a year
to Ketchum and Sun Valley
The Day begins with a shootout in the street, 
the re-enactment of a drunken cowboy rally.

A cannon roars and then come horses, 
bareback riders on pinto ponies, appaloosas,
shetlands, Giant Percherons, blacks and grays
some carrying fine saddles
others pulling wagons, stages and drays.

The pooper scoopers on roller blades
are really happy hockey players
who by clearing the street of horse emissions are
rectifying traffic and marching band conditions.

My favorites are the champaign ladies
and the Spanish caballero on his prancing horse 
and I always like the grand finale when
the mighty ore wagon rumbles in
pulled by as many animals as anyone dares drive.

To me this is the end of one more Valley summer
and I take special pride to have seen it over and over
since I was ten.

Someday maybe I'll be in the thing 
but I'm content to watch till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment